The beginning of this year didn’t offer much free time for quilting. Things settled down a bit though, so I decided it was time for another challenge. I found out that the Ann Arbor Modern Quilt Guild had decided to participate in the Robert Kaufman Solids Only Challenge and Debbie was nice to send me the last charm pack in the pale colors. Probably not the palette I would have pick, but I guess that’s what a challenge is all about, isn’t it?
Several weeks passed as I played around with design ideas. In fact, I probably spent more time designing this quilt than I did sewing it up! I’ve enjoyed playing around with Excel and decided that I’d use that as my tool for quilt design and color selection. So, this is what I came up with.
The soft, pale colors are cute, but I wanted to add some “punch” to this quilt – make it bright and happy! The challenge rules allowed me to add up to 3 different RK solids, so I chose two of my favorites: Lagoon (or turquoise) and Pomegranite (magenta). I also wanted to add some warmth and neutrality without it being too “bla”, so I thought the Gold (background) would look good with all this variety. I can’t quite remember if I decided on these 3 colors first, or if I designed my layout first. Maybe they came together kind of simultaneously. Each pattern block is a 9-patch of odd-numbered sizes – 7, 9, and 11 inch (height) by 7, 9, and 11 inch (width). I used every combination! Some are perfect squares and some are (perfect) rectangles. Also, each 9-patch block is made of different sizes of smaller units – 2, 3, 4 and 5 inches (height and width). I suspect you may be thinking that this is too complicated (and I’m nuts), but once I started plugging in my color ideas on the spreadsheet, everything came together pretty quickly. That’s about as much math as I plan to integrate into my quilts!
The blocks became rows . . .
Soon (figuratively speaking) all 35 blocks were assembled. I had used ALL the charm colors (was required to use at least 30 of the 45) and basically ended up with just a handful of pastel scraps I didn’t use. Lots of the leftovers from the charm squares were used as “leaders” and “enders”. That’s how I got the great pieced sections for the back! I like the back almost as much as the front!
Even my little “Marty” wanted to be in on the action and made sure no one took my batting!
Tomorrow, my dear nephew (a great photographer) and I will get some pics of the finished piece! Hope it’s a beautiful day!